Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Nowitzki Injured in Game 1

Posted by arme_bryant at 5:27 AM ,
MIAMI – For the Dallas Mavericks, the only thing worse than losing Game 1 of The Finals would be an injury to Dirk Nowitzki.

Well…

Nowitzki showed up to his postgame press conference with a bandage on his left middle finger. And when he was asked about it, he revealed that he has a torn tendon in the finger, suffered when he tried to knock the ball out of Chris Bosh‘s hands (and called for a foul) with 3:44 left in the fourth quarter on Tuesday.

“I thought I stripped him clean,” Nowitzki said, “and then I kind of looked down and I couldn’t straighten my finger anymore.”

The good news is that the injury is not on Nowitzki’s shooting hand, and he seemed to downplay it. He said an x-ray taken was negative.

“I guess it will be all right,” he said. “I have to wear a splint probably for the rest of the playoffs, for a couple of weeks. But it will be all right. It’s on my left hand, so I’ll be all right for Thursday.”

LeBron James downplayed it, too.

“Dirk’s right-handed,” James said. “He’ll be all right.”

Nowitzki led the Mavs with 27 points on 7-for-18 shooting in Game 1. He was 1-for-2 from the floor and 2-for-2 from the line after the injury.

“We’ll take 7-for-18 every game we can,” Dwyane Wade said about Nowitzki’s performance. “There’s going to be some nights we’re going to play the same defense and he’s going to hit those shots. We can’t get down about it and guys can’t get frustrated. You understand he’s one of the best scorers and shot-makers that this game has seen.”

Back Top

0 comments:

Post a Comment